Implementation of these grading procedures is required in all secondary (7-12) Davis School District classes during 4th term 2020. Elementary grading will remain unchanged for 4th term 2020.
- To provide an accurate report of student learning on prioritized standards during 4th term 2020.
- To afford students and teachers flexibility considering the unanticipated challenges of remote learning.
- Teachers are expected to establish a grading scale which gives due consideration to students during remote learning. A typical grading scale with common failing grades (based on a 60% criterion) is not appropriate.
- Letter grades (A, A-, B+, B, etc.) will be awarded according to calculation methods and cut scores established by teachers with a few modifications.
o Students will have the option of requesting a P (passing) grade to replace a traditional letter grade (except F).
o No F grades will be awarded during 4th term 2020. Any grade that would have been an F will automatically be replaced with an I (incomplete).
o The table below identifies the grades a student may earn as well as the effect on graduation credit (9th-12th grade) and GPA (term and cumulative).
|Grade||Yields credit||Affects GPA|
|A, A- B+, B, B- C+, C, C-
D+, D, D-
|F||Not available for 4th Term 2020|
Additional Information on P Grades
- Beginning May 11, 2020, P grades can be requested as a replacement for any grade (except F or I). Requests for P grades will not be considered prior to May 11, 2020.
- Requests for P grades will be submitted by a student’s parent/guardian in the myDSD portal. A paper request form will be available in the school counseling office if myDSD is not available/accessible to a parent.
- P grades requested prior to the end of the term will show on the 4th term report card.
- After the end of the term, students may work through their school’s process for grade changes to replace a P grade with the appropriate earned letter grade. This opportunity will be extended through September 29, 2020.
- If students or parents are concerned about scholarships, NCAA eligibility, or college admission requirements, they should consult a school counselor before submitting a request for a P grade.
Additional Information on I Grades
- I grades will be awarded instead of F grades for every 7-12 class during 4th term 2020.
- If procedures for awarding I grades already exist in a class, those procedures may be followed as well.
- An I grade awarded during 4th term 2020 will not automatically convert to an F grade after a period of time. It will remain as an I on the transcript unless modified by grade change or grade replacement procedures.
- Students may work through their school’s credit remediation or grade change processes to replace an I grade with the appropriate earned letter grade or a P grade. This opportunity will be extended through September 29, 2020.
- No citizenship grades will be given during 4th term 2020.
- The Utah Board of Regents has authorized the district to utilize alternative (non-letter) grades such as a P grade. The grading structure outlined above is approved for use in university concurrent enrollment (CE) courses.
- These grading requirements apply only to 4th term 2020.
- These grading requirements will continue to apply even if school is reopened prior to the end of the school year.