Junior High

High School


Routes to Becoming a Teacher


Davis district is always looking for passionate people who want to teach in our schools. Use the tabs above to explore different ways you can earn your teaching license. 


One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.

Malala Yousafzai 

University Licensure Program


This is the traditional pathway for many teachers. The focus is on content knowledge as well as pedagogical theory, instructional practices, and classroom management.


A Utah teaching license can be acquired through completion of one of the following:

  • Bachelor's

  • Master's degree

  • Post-bachelor Graduate Certificate program


INFORMATION: Contact your local university
COST: Tuition, student fees, books, etc.

Alternative Route to Obtain a Teaching License

Associate Educator License

This non-traditional path to licensure is initiated by contacting the USBE directly.

Requirements include:

  • Bachelor's degree or higher
  • USBE background and fingerprint check
  • Content knowledge assessment or degree major
  • Associate Educator License Modules
    • Basic Special Education Law and Instruction
    • Educator Ethics
    • Classroom Management and Instruction
    • Utah Effective Teaching Standards (UET)
  • Visit the USBE Licensing web site

  • Davis District does not issue teaching licenses, however, we are happy to answer your questions. Contact us:

    • Jocelyn Heyne, HR Licensing expert: jheyne@dsdmail.net

    • Professional Learning & Quality Staffing: dpalmer@dsdmail.net

COST: University transcript, background check and fingerprinting, Praxis content exam, Performance Assessment Exam, and other possible fees.