What is GIS?
GIS is short for Geographic Information Systems. GIS is a powerful combination of software, data, and hardware used to visualize and analyze spatial data and put it into a useable format for an end user.
GIS can be used to:
- Create maps of school facilities with various characteristics
- Geocode students by residential location and mapping their attributes.
- Design attendance boundaries and perform other redistricting functions.
- Relate demographics and facilities to other district departments and functions.
- Provide potential new school site analysis.