Weather-related School Delays & Closures
As forecasts begin calling for snow, the Davis School District reminds parents about procedures it uses when considering school closures for inclement weather.
The decision to close schools or delay their openings actually occurs in the early-morning hours as district officials begin assessing what the weather amounted to the previous night.
The district also reviews current road conditions and weather reports, considers what forecasts are predicting and takes into account student and employee safety, busing and security. If the superintendent decides to close schools, that decision will be made as early as possible and before school buses hit the roadways.
In the event of a closure or a two-hour late start, the district will notify parents and guardians through a call out, email and text message. Additionally, the information will be posted to all school webpages and will also be shared via Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Area radio and TV stations will also be notified to spread the word that schools are closed. The stations will only be notified when schools close. They will not be contacted when schools remain open.
Parents are also reminded they may keep their student home anytime they feel conditions are unsafe to travel to school. When those situations arise, school administrators and teachers will work with students so that they can complete any schoolwork that they may have missed.
On a related note, if school closes because of weather, the school day, by state law, must be made up.
Davis County on average receives 58 inches of snow annually between the months of October and April. Generally speaking, Utah is prepared for winter weather. However, storms can pack a wallop and can force schools to close.
With that in mind, the following information goes into detail regarding school closures in the Davis School District.
- What determines a school closure?
- What about a two-hour late start?
- Where can I find the bell schedule for a two-hour delay?
- Remote Learning Expectations for Days with Inclement Weather (Updated March 2023)
- Could busses be delayed even if schools remain open?
- Will students be sent home early if it continues to snow throughout the day?
- The news indicates it will snow all night. Does the district announce a school closure the night before?
- What resources does the district have when it comes to removing snow?
- Where can I find out if schools are closed?
- Does a district closure impact other entities?