The Community Relations Department exists to build public understanding and support for schools in the Davis School District.
It is responsible for maintaining internal and external communications for the district by publishing press releases, annual reports, internal and external newsletters and answering inquiries from the public. It also serves as the liaison between the district, the community and the media and assists in coordinating media coverage of the educational process in Davis schools.
It may sound a bit presumptuous to have a page entitled "Bragging Rights," but we have a lot to shout about. Just scroll down and read about some of what makes the Davis School District proud.
- The Davis School District was established more than 100 years ago in 1911, and continues to grow every year. This year, approximately 500 new students will enter the district, bringing its enrollment to more than 71,000 students. Its mission statement is "Learning First."
- The district is the county' s second-largest employer, behind only Hill Air Force Base, and was the recipient of the prestigious Davis Chamber of Commerce Legacy Award in 2013.
- Its annual budget is more than $741 million and it operates 62 elementary schools, 16 junior high schools and eight high schools.
- The district is home to some of the best high schools in the nation. For instance, Bountiful and Davis high schools were recently ranked by Newsweek Magazine as two of the top 1,000 high schools in the US.
- Its test scores meet or exceed state and national averages.
- It is the first and only school district in Utah to receive system-wide accreditation. It is the first Utah district to have been named to the AP Honor Roll seven years in a row. It is also home to the only K-12 Confucius Institute in Utah.
- Bountiful and Clearfield high schools offer the International Baccalaureate program.
- Davis County residents continually support the district's efforts to build new school buildings and rennovate existing schools. Voters approved the district's $298 million Building Improvement and Construction Plan by 61.5 percent in 2015, its $250 million bond by 63 percent in 2009, its $230 million bond by 79.04 percent in 2006, and its $190 million bond by 89.6 percent in 2002.
- The district has received a Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association for the past 33 years.
- The district has received the coveted Energy Star Award for 36 of its schools. Even more are on-line to receive it. It is also home to the first net zero-ready school in the state — Odyssey Elementary School — and has since built two others — Kays Creek and Canyon Creek elementary schools.
- It has been a few years now, but the district was recognized as having the nation's top graduation rate among the 100 largest school districts in the country in 2006. In 2014, it had the 6th highest graduation rate and it boasts the highest graduation rate among Wasatch Front districts.
- This past year, its 4,411 graduating seniors earned more than $46 million in scholarships from some of the top institutions and military academies in the nation.
- The Davis School District is led by Superintendent Reid Newey.
The following are some of the media representatives who work with the Community Relations Office.
If you wish to receive assistance from the Community Relations Office in sharing news about your school or department or about an upcoming event, please call 402-5260 or 402-5633.
KUTV • News desk • 801-839-1222 • email@example.com
KTVX • News desk • 801-975-4401 • firstname.lastname@example.org
KSL • Assignment desk • 801-575-5500 • email@example.com Anne Forester • 801-575-5563 • firstname.lastname@example.org
KSTU • Assignments editor • 801-536-1313 • email@example.com
Davis County Clipper • Becky Ginos • 801-295-2251, ext. 118 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Deseret News • 801-575-5582
Salt Lake Tribune • Ben Wood • 801-257-8715 • email@example.com
Standard Examiner • Megan Olsen • 801-625-4227 • firstname.lastname@example.org • News Editor • 801-625-4226 • 801-625-4224 • email@example.com
KSL • Mary Richards • 801-575-6397 • firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
KNRS • 801-908-1509