Northern Utah Testing Center
- Demonstrated Competency
Please contact us to see if we are eligible to proctor the exam you need to take. Please keep in mind, if we are not currently eligible to proctor exams for your school or organization this process can take several weeks. Please plan accordingly.
- Test fee of $26 applies to World Languages exam only, all others are free.
- Students may take DCAs at any time during grades 9 - 12.
- Students earn required or elective credit for certain courses by passing DCAs instead of earning credit through traditional classroom enrollment.
- Under guidance of a school counselor, the DCA can accelerate a student's education.
- Students are responsible for acquiring and retaining the content knowledge and skills needed to pass a DCA.
- Applications are available online.
- Each assessment may be taken only once per year, per subject tested.
- Citizenship credit is not awarded for passing any DCA.
- Students receive a "P" (pass) for earning credit for taking a DCA. No letter grades are awarded. (*See below for special conditions and exceptions).
- Earth Systems Science
- English Language Arts grades 9, 10, 11 & 12
- Fitness for Life
- Geography for Life
- General Financial Literacy
- Participation Skills & Techniques
- Secondary Math 1, 2 & 3
- U.S. Government & Citizenship
- World Civilizations
- World Languages
Each DCA is composed of two or more modules and may require more than one sitting. As students pass modules, they can move onto the next. Students must contact the Testing Center to schedule an appointment. They must bring a valid current photo I.D. when they come to test.
A notification letter with the test results will be sent to the email(s) provided by the student, parent(s) or guardian(s), and school counselor.
*Credit earned through the Demonstrated Competency Assessment program will be accepted by all public and charter schools within the State of Utah, as supported by state law. However, students enrolled at private schools or in home-school programs should speak with their school district counselor or administrator prior to engaging in the testing process, to ensure that credit earned will be accepted toward graduation.
**Students pursuing a college athletic career:
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) does NOT recognize courses completed through credit-by-exam. Credit earned by taking a Demonstrated Competency Assessment will NOT be accepted to meet NCAA eligibility.
***Students pursuing the Utah Regents' Scholarship:
Please refer to the Regents Scholarship Program Guide for information regarding competency testing.