- Home ⌂
- Data Retention
- Submit Apps/Services for Review
- Textbook and Software FERPA Database
- Virtual Classroom Privacy, FERPA and FAQ
- Teacher and STS Responsibilities
The content on this site is provided to the Davis District community to accomplish 2 primary objectives.
- To communicate to the community what student data is shared outside the district.
- Review apps, websites, and 3rd party content for either compliance to FERPA mandates and FERPA exceptions.
Documents: Find documents posted as required by state law regarding how DSD handles student personal data.
Training: Supporting documents and videos for school administrators to provide training to teachers on student data privacy as required by board policy.
Submit Apps/Services for Review: Links to forms educators can use to submit any app/website/service for review of the terms of service and privacy policies for those services.
FERPA Metadata Dictionary: The DSD version of the state's Metadata Dictionary to clearly state what metadata or information is shared with outside parties. This is a combined database for FERPA status, Teaching and Learning approval and comments, Special Education review, and Technology review of services and products.
The Davis School District is committed to ensuring the privacy, security, and confidentiality of student data while enabling the information to be used to improve student outcomes.
Data Retention Policies for the Davis School District follow the recommendations of the Utah State Archives. Schools and Department Administrators oversee data retention for their locations.
- Review procedures
- Review metadata dictionary - State database of services with whom student information is shared.
- Submit a TOS request - Request to share student information with a 3rd party company or website. Without this approval, we cannot share student information (usernames, emails, passwords) with websites without written parent permission.
- Outcome 1: Site/App/or Service will be added to DSD database
- Outcome 2: FERPA approval will be indicated whether written parent consent will be requires OR it will be added as an EXCEPTION under FERPA rules (school official exception)
- Submit a MOU request - Request to get a Memorandum of Understanding written or signed relating to research and student information shared with partner organizations
SUBMIT NEW ITEMS to this database, at the SHAREPOINT site for Software and Textbooks - Adopted and Supplemental.
Welcome to the DSD Instructional Materials Database. Search through different apps, websites, textbooks, and desktop applications. Submit new items for this list to email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
- What is P.I.I.?
- P.I.I. or PII is the common acronym for Personally Identifiable Information
- Can I use a data wall to motivate students to monitor and improve their own learning?
- Data walls -- publicly posting PII academic progress, attendance, test results of any type is a violation of FERPA. The alternative is to use individual file folders or student / teacher mentoring sessions to keep student data and information separate.
See this Washington Post article from 2014 about data walls and FERPA issues. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/21/how-some-school-data-walls-violate-u-s-privacy-law/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df262aa88f40
Software and Services
- Keep all ethics responsibilities regarding FERPA confidentiality.
- Be aware of what student Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is shared to software vendors and services.
- Check the Textbook and Software FERPA Database for information on software used
- If the software is not available, please click the SharePoint Data Base link to add a NEW ENTRY for the software or service.
- Keep meeting links private and password protected.
- Use District approved virtual classroom tools (Microsoft Teams, Canvas Conferences, Zoom -- if password protected)
- See Virtual Classroom Security and FAQ for more information