ANNUAL FERPA NOTICE AND DIRECTORY INFORMATION NOTICE
- ANNUAL NOTICE - Administrators at each school are responsible for the distribution of the annual FERPA notice and directory information notice by publishing the required policy information in school handbooks annually. See PAGE 5 of the Administrative Memo 28 (Section on FERPA and Directory Information) [link to pdf in district policy manual]
- SCHOOL HANDBOOKS - The directory information notice is included annually in student handbook publications from each school. The Administrative Memo 28 above indicates district policies to include in the handbook publication -- including the FERPA directory information notice.
BIOMETRIC DATA COLLECTION NOTICE -- Davis School District does not collect biometric information in either .
DATA COLLECTION NOTICE [link to pdf in district policy manual] - Notice to parents in the student registration packet regarding student information collected by the district. NOTE: this document is presented to be accepted, but is only a notice. Parents can submit the directory information withhold release using the documents linked above.
DATA GOVERNANCE PLAN [link to pdf in district policy manual]
DATA RETENTION SCHEDULE [link to pdf in district policy manual]
DIRECTORY INFORMATION OPT OUT REQUEST - Parents or guardians may print and fill out the directory information withhold request (to restrict 3rd party mailings) must be submitted to your school's administration office annually.
- Elementary Schools Directory Information Withhold Release Request [pdf]
- Secondary Schools Directory Information Withhold Release Request [pdf]
EMPLOYEE HANDOUT regarding Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
IT SECURITY PLAN [pdf]
METADATA DICTIONARY - District Approved Technology Tools public listing [link to Searchable Database]
METADATA DICTIONARY - Data Element Definitions [link to Student Data Privacy Coalition SDPC Utah Alliance Dictionary]
PPRA NOTICE HANDOUT [link to pdf in district policy manual]
RECORDS RETENTION SCHEDULE - DSD Schedule for when student records are retained and purged
STUDENT DATA DISCLOSURE [pdf] Utah Code Title 53E-9-305(2) - Annual notification of student data collection
The District and its schools shall retain and dispose of student records in accordance with the District’s adopted student records retention schedule. Student records not on the District schedule shall be retained and disposed of in compliance with active retention schedules for student records per the Utah Education Records Retention Schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
- What is P.I.I.?
- P.I.I. or PII is the common acronym for Personally Identifiable Information
- Can I use a data wall to motivate students to monitor and improve their own learning?
Data walls -- publicly posting PII academic progress, attendance, test results of any type is a violation of FERPA. The alternative is to use individual file folders or student / teacher mentoring sessions to keep student data and information separate.
See this Washington Post article from 2014 about data walls and FERPA issues. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/21/how-some-school-data-walls-violate-u-s-privacy-law/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df262aa88f40
- What if I decline the "Data Collection Notice" in myDSD?
The Data Collection Notice posted in myDSD has been (in the past) posted for parents' information, but the program required a response (Accept/Decline). The current version of the tool records that you have opened and read the document alone.
There is no action that needs to be taken if you clicked Accept or Decline on that form
- Why is my (my student's) information shared with military recruiters?
- The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA), requires all local education agencies, including the Utah Department of Education, to provide to military recruiters, upon their request, the name, address, and telephone number of secondary school students. Secondary school students are defined as students enrolled in middle, intermediate, and/or high schools. It also applies to students in grades 7 through 12 in secondary schools (e.g. 7-8, 9-12).
If any eligible student (18 years of age) or the parent/guardian of a secondary student does not want the Utah Department of Education to provide the requested information to military recruiters, the eligible student or the parent/guardian must "opt out" of providing such information. To do this, the printed and signed Secondary Schools Directory Information Withhold Release Request [pdf] [link to pdf from policy manual] needs to be submitted to the school office by the eligible student or parent/legal guardian.
"Directory Information Withhold Release Request" forms are to be submitted annually, and will be accepted at any time during the school year. If a request is submitted after student information has been turned over to the military's Inter-Service Recruitment Council (IRC), the “opt-out” request will apply to future information the Utah Department of Education submits to the IRC. If a parent, guardian, or eligible student does not file an “opt-out” request, student information may be released to the extent that laws, regulations, and/or policies authorize such disclosures without consent.
[adapted from Provo SD directory information notice 9/22/2022]