The content on this site is provided to the Davis District community to accomplish 2 primary objectives.
- To communicate to the community what student data is shared outside the district.
- Review apps, websites, and 3rd party content for either compliance to FERPA mandates and FERPA exceptions.
Documents: Find documents posted as required by state law regarding how DSD handles student personal data.
Training: Supporting documents and videos for school administrators to provide training to teachers on student data privacy as required by board policy.
Submit Apps/Services for Review: Links to forms educators can use to submit any app/website/service for review of the terms of service and privacy policies for those services.
FERPA Metadata Dictionary: The DSD version of the state's Metadata Dictionary to clearly state what metadata or information is shared with outside parties. This is a combined database for FERPA status, Teaching and Learning approval and comments, Special Education review, and Technology review of services and products.
- Student Data Privacy Manager
- Phone: 801.402.5360
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Davis School District is committed to ensuring the privacy, security, and confidentiality of student data while enabling the information to be used to improve student outcomes.
- Review procedures
- Review metadata dictionary - State database of services with whom student information is shared.
- Submit a TOS request - Request to share student information with a 3rd party company or website. Without this approval, we cannot share student information (usernames, emails, passwords) with websites without written parent permission.
- Outcome 1: Site/App/or Service will be added to DSD database
- Outcome 2: FERPA approval will be indicated whether written parent consent will be requires OR it will be added as an EXCEPTION under FERPA rules (school official exception)
- Submit a MOU request - Request to get a Memorandum of Understanding written or signed relating to research and student information shared with partner organizations
SUBMIT NEW ITEMS to this database, at the SHAREPOINT site for Software and Textbooks - Adopted and Supplemental.
Welcome to the DSD Instructional Materials Database. Search through different apps, websites, textbooks, and desktop applications. Submit new items for this list to email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
- What is P.I.I.?
- P.I.I. or PII is the common acronym for Personally Identifiable Information
- Can I use a data wall to motivate students to monitor and improve their own learning?
- Data walls -- publicly posting PII academic progress, attendance, test results of any type is a violation of FERPA. The alternative is to use individual file folders or student / teacher mentoring sessions to keep student data and information separate.
See this Washington Post article from 2014 about data walls and FERPA issues. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/21/how-some-school-data-walls-violate-u-s-privacy-law/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df262aa88f40
Data Retention Policies for the Davis School District follow the recommendations of the Utah State Archives. Schools and Department Administrators oversee data retention for their locations.