- Home ⌂
- Data Retention
- Submit Apps/Services for Review
- Textbook and Software FERPA Database
- Virtual Classroom Privacy, FERPA and FAQ
The content on this site is provided to the Davis District community to accomplish 2 primary objectives.
- To communicate to the community what student data is shared outside the district.
- Review apps, websites, and 3rd party content for either compliance to FERPA mandates and FERPA exceptions.
Documents: Find documents posted as required by state law regarding how DSD handles student personal data.
Training: Supporting documents and videos for school administrators to provide training to teachers on student data privacy as required by board policy.
Submit Apps/Services for Review: Links to forms educators can use to submit any app/website/service for review of the terms of service and privacy policies for those services.
FERPA Metadata Dictionary: The DSD version of the state's Metadata Dictionary to clearly state what metadata or information is shared with outside parties. This is a combined database for FERPA status, Teaching and Learning approval and comments, Special Education review, and Technology review of services and products.
The Davis School District is committed to ensuring the privacy, security, and confidentiality of student data while enabling the information to be used to improve student outcomes.
- Data governance plan
- Student data disclosure
- Student data collection notice
- Directory Information Notice
- The directory information notice is included annually in student handbook publications from each school. The district memo below indicates district policies to include in the handbook publication -- including FERPA directory information notice.
- Administrative Memo 28 (Section on FERPA and Directory Information)
- IT security plan
- Metadata dictionary
- Directory Information Opt-out Form
- DSD Board Policy: 11IR-110 Student Data and Family Privacy Protection (formerly Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Individual Rights and Responsibilities
Data Retention Policies for the Davis School District follow the recommendations of the Utah State Archives. Schools and Department Administrators oversee data retention for their locations.
- Review procedures
- Review metadata dictionary - State database of services with whom student information is shared.
- Submit a TOS request - Request to share student information with a 3rd party company or website. Without this approval, we cannot share student information (usernames, emails, passwords) with websites without written parent permission.
- Outcome 1: Site/App/or Service will be added to DSD database
- Outcome 2: FERPA approval will be indicated whether written parent consent will be requires OR it will be added as an EXCEPTION under FERPA rules (school official exception)
- Submit a MOU request - Request to get a Memorandum of Understanding written or signed relating to research and student information shared with partner organizations
This DSD Power App is designed to allow for DSD usersearching the database based on content area, platform, and to sort by more recent, or alphabetical. For questions on this, please contact Jon Hyatt.
Click here to login directly to Microsoft Office >> Power Apps >> Apps Texts and Websites Database App
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
- What is P.I.I.?
- P.I.I. or PII is the common acronym for Personally Identifiable Information
- Can I use a data wall to motivate students to monitor and improve their own learning?
- Data walls -- publicly posting PII academic progress, attendance, test results of any type is a violation of FERPA. The alternative is to use individual file folders or student / teacher mentoring sessions to keep student data and information separate.
See this Washington Post article from 2014 about data walls and FERPA issues. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/21/how-some-school-data-walls-violate-u-s-privacy-law/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df262aa88f40