STEM Olympiad (4-6)
Building Student Interest in Science
The Science Olympiad is a national organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
The Science Olympiad:
- creates a passion for learning science by supporting tournaments with an emphasis on teamwork and a commitment to excellence.
- aims to change the way science is taught as itemphasizes problem solving and hands-on, minds-on constructivist learning practices.
- promotes partnerships among community, businesses, industry, government and education.
- brings science to life by showing how science works, emphasizing problem-solving aspects of science and the understanding of science concepts.
- makes science education more exciting so more students will enroll in science courses and engage in other science activities like science reading, fairs, meetings and field trips.
- promotes high levels of achievement and a commitment to excellence, demonstrating that American students can perform at levels that surpasses expectations of even practicing scientists and engineers.